home tutorials features parties custom orders

Friday, July 20, 2012

oliver + s Picnic Blouse & Shorts



I know you have probably seen reviews of this Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse and Shorts pattern before on other blogs.  It's really a great pattern--great instructions with lots of helpful tips, sizing is spot on, and of course, just adorable and unique features!


When Rachael from imagine gnats asked me to participate in Shorts on the Line as a guest blogger, I wasn't sure I would be able to pull off the scalloped edge shorts idea that was my original plan, so she kindly offered up this super Oliver + S pattern for me to try out as a back-up!  This is the one and only Oliver + S pattern that I now own (and I would love to have more), and I am so appreciative to Rachael for sending it to me!



I purchased the Spring Street fabric by Carolyn Gavin for P & B Textiles last year with the intent on making Ella a cute little shorts and top outfit, but I never found the right pattern.  After receiving the Oliver + S Picnic Blouse and Shorts pattern in the mail though, I immediately knew that this was the perfect fabric for this outfit.  I even had some of the lightweight denim on hand, so no trip to the fabric store was necessary for me to get started with this project.  Don't you just love it when everything for a project comes together so naturally?!



I used the measurement guide on the back of the pattern to help me determine the best size to use, and Ella's measurements fit the size 5 almost perfectly.  I am hoping this outfit will still fit next summer especially since I used the adjustable buttonhole elastic for the back waistband.  The pattern guides you through exactly how to make the waistband for this type of elastic if you choose to use it, but it's not a requirement of the pattern.  Overall, the shorts were pretty simple to make!



The blouse was super simple to make.  It has a little elastic at the top of the shoulder giving the neck opening enough stretch to make it easy to put on and take off.  I think the blouse with the 3/4 length sleeves will be more appropriate for spring or fall since it is so hot this summer, so next time I may make it a short sleeve blouse.





Ella loves the entire ensemble.  I do, too.  I've already got plans to make a pair or two more this summer! You should definitely try out this pattern if you haven't already. Thanks again, Rachael!



9 comments:

  1. This outfit is so cute! I especially love all of the details on the shorts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute outfit and little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Where do you buy your clothing labels?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous outfit, Veronica. LOVE the shorts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful out fit. I'm loving the shorts. New follower.
    http://newyearsresolutionexercise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the fabric choices and you are such a talented seamstress! In my faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla, for your kind words and for selecting my shorts for your one of your favorites! I'm honored!

      Delete
  7. Those shorts are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!